Friday, June 6, 2008

Poems have a mind of their own

I sat down to write a poem about another certain someone but tonight's ended up being about me...I think?

They say that everything happens for a reason
Sometimes I don’t like what they say

5 year old lessons are so much easier

Devon, eat your broccoli or no dessert
Only 2 hours of tv on Sunday
Where did the red pen go?

10 year old lessons are much easier

Friends aren’t always who they appear
You should have started your homework earlier
Bryn was a good dog…

15 year old lessons are easier

You know the truth – it will come out
Escaping isn’t the answer
Your actions have lasting repercussions

16 year old lessons are tough

You threw up your tube – let’s put it back in
Escaping isn’t the answer
You’re not in control

17 year old lessons are tougher

First loves never last
Escaping isn’t the answer
Being thrown out is excruciating

18 year old lessons hurt

Don’t push him away
Escaping isn’t the answer
STOP

19 year old lessons are painful

Am I worth more?
Escaping isn’t the answer
Promises are empty bitter words

20 year old lessons are raw wounds

Don’t tear your own heart
Escaping is not the answer
Lessons are there for a reason

Will the lessons ever get easier?
Escaping is no longer an answer
I’m tired of learning…

No comments: